Set Scene: I am sitting (probably in my car waiting to pick up kids), I open IG, I immediately see a perfectly decorated home for the holidays, a festive holiday recipe, another gift guide….. all things Christmas…..
I have absolutely no qualms about early Holiday prep, decking the halls, spreading holiday cheer in November. I actually love it. I just feel SOOO far behind this year, and in some ways that can be paralyzing. You don’t know where to start, don’t know what comes first, and instead of doing ANYTHING to make progress you freeze and do nothing.
It can be done, we can do this together! Here are 5 things I plan to do over the next few weeks BEFORE Thanksgiving, to ensure post Thanksgiving my time can be spent in front of the fireplace watching as much Hallmark Channel as humanly possible…. because honestly, I think the root of all the stress is that there won’t be enough time to watch each Hallmark Christmas Movie ever made AT LEAST 3 times…. I wish I were kidding!
- Holiday Cards – This is always at the top of my list each year. It is something that can easily be done early, and by doing it early it relieves so much holiday stress. I always purchase my cards through Minted, and my favorite feature is my entire address book is saved on the site, so it’s one less step for me.
- Make Space Throughout My Home – Try to really declutter in each area of my home. Going through toys this time of year is also a great idea. It helps your home appear more tidy when having company over during the holidays, and makes space for new toys / gifts your kids may receive.
- Plan It All Out On Paper – In the video below I show different ways to either purchase or create your own book for planning out the holidays. From decor to meals, gifts to travel, map it all out in one place.
- Undecorate / Decorate – This one really depends on your situation. When I used to host Thanksgiving I wanted my fall decor to be the main attraction, now that we don’t host, I have no problem underrating my fall decor and transitioning to Christmas early. This year I am going to decorate in stages. Hoping to have about half done before Thanksgiving, and then enjoying putting up the rest on Black Friday.
- Plan Outfits – This is something I really like to get done early. Planning out any outfits our family may need during the Holidays. For example I know my kids need outfits for Holiday cards that we can also re wear for Thanksgiving and possibly even Christmas Eve. They will also have school events that need specific clothing. Make sure all elements of outfits fit. Also be sure to include festive PJ’s too!
What is on your list to accomplish before the Thanksgiving Holiday?